A funny thing happened while blogging this week. Guest Blogs are usually published on Thursdays; I posted Rebekah Shardy’s “Better Endings…or Better Character?” yesterday, instead of today. Only last night did I even realize I had varied the schedule. It felt right to post Rebekah’s insights yesterday about how character drives endings in fiction, especially after sharing about my own personal decision to finish college instead of moving to NYC to chase a youthful fantasy.
Today then I will share a Wednesday post: a bucket list of possible types of decisions we can reflect on that could have led to ‘alternate’ life conditions. Let me add one idea here from my Life Paths Mapping practice: Isn’t it interesting how decision points are so often the Life Chapter punctuation marks that become Turning Points in our own Life Stories? Like a classic myth–or any good fiction–the protagonist, which can be you or me, comes to a crossroads and is faced with a choice: either continue on our established path or make a mindful new decision that can alter the course of our destiny. (Or, third, tweak the established course to be in better accord with our current awareness.)
So, here are some common decision points you may have encountered or might yet in the future. Can you imagine–journal about, write a story about, or visualize, talk about or contemplate–a Better Endings scenario? What is your decision, either now or as re-visioned, based on? How does your own inner character inform and motivate your choices?
- Who to be best friends with in childhood?
- Which group to sit with at lunch in the school cafeteria?
- What extracurricular clubs or activities to take part in during high school?
- whether to go to college or to what form of work?
- what major to pursue in college?
- whether to marry your first ‘true love’?
- whether to pursue a romantic connection with someone you did not pursue or whose advances you declined?
- whether to take a risk (you fill in which)?
- whether to follow a whim?
- where to live when a clear choice presented itself; whether to move/ change jobs/ travel?
- what to believe in, and how?
Please feel free to Comment (Leave a Reply in the box below) with additional prompts for flexing our skills at creative re-visioning. Please also submit your stories; the deadline for the weekly topic stories to be shared is Saturday. And please, I hope you have seen by now that Better Endings is a Safe Space for all. I respect all perspectives and encourage all points of view to be shared as we dialogue and learn from each other. Have fun exploring this weekly topic of Personal Decisions. What might have happened IF/ WHEN/ or COULD if you only IMAGINE?
And as always, please FOLLOW to receive daily Better Endings by email, and Share with your Friends!
- Then and Now (averyjans.wordpress.com)
- Character Change Part III (sonjahutchinson.wordpress.com)